Prince’s Friend Interviews Journalist and Author Neal Karlen
Former Rolling Stone journalist Neal Karlen, who did two in-depth interviews with Prince and who had an unlikely friendship with the him over the period of 30+ years, is interviewed by Prince’s Friend during Celebration 2019 in the above video. There was a time when Prince didn’t do interviews, but allowed only this journalist to speak with him. Karlen, who also grew up in Minneapolis, was even allowed to record Prince during their interviews and got a special glimpse into who he was as a person.
Neal Karlen’s ninth book, Prince: Off the Record, a memoir of his 30-year friendship with the musician, will be published April 2020 by St. Martin’s Press. The author of eight books, Neal teaches non-fiction writing at the University of Minnesota’s Graduate School of Journalism and has also been a contributing author to many well-known magazines, including Newsweek, The New York Times, and Rolling Stone.
Following are books authored by Neal Karlen:
- Take My Life, Please! – Henny Youngman (1991)
- The Babe in Boyland (1995)
- Babes in Toyland: The Making and Selling of a Rock and Roll Band (1995)
- Jen-X: Jenny McCarthy’s Open Book (1997)
- Slouching Toward Fargo: A Two-Year Saga Of Sinners And St. Paul Saints At The Bottom Of The Bush Leagues With Bill Murray, Darryl Strawberry, Dakota Sadie And Me (1999)
- Shanda: The Making and Breaking of a Self-loathing Jew (2004) Simon and Schuster.
- The Story of Yiddish: How a Mish-Mosh of Languages Saved the Jews (2009) HarperCollins.
- Augie’s Secrets: The Minneapolis Mob and the King of the Hennepin Strip (2013) Minnesota Historical Society Press.
Neal was the recipient of the CASEY Award in 1999 for his book Slouching Toward Fargo.
Please enjoy Prince’s Friend interview with Neal Karlen above. Also, check out the Star Tribune article, Letters from Prince: A Minneapolis writer remembers his relationship with a lost star, from April 29, 2016.
CLICK HERE For more information about YouTube’s Prince’s Friend.